Who can participate?
To be eligible to participate in the research, you must:
- Be 19 years of age or older.
- Identify as a woman, an Indigenous person, a racialized person or visible minority, immigrant, an LGBTQ2S+ person, a person with disabilities or a person without a post-secondary education.
- Have operated a Canadian owned small business within Canada for over 2 years.
- Have a business website.
- Have an interest undertaking digital marketing development for your business.
How to Join
Ready to join the BSBR research project? You’ll need to set aside at least one hour to complete an online questionnaire. The questionnaire intends to identify the current stage of your business and how digital marketing can support your business growth. The questionnaire will also be used as a screening tool to evaluate your eligibility to participate in the Prototype Training Program.
Here are some of the questions you will be asked.
- Which of the following group(s) do you identify with?
- How old are you?
- Is English your first language?
- What is the highest education level you have achieved?
- What software are you using for your business?
About your business
- How long has your business been operating?
- How many people are working full time in your business? (including you)
- In which industry is your business operating?
- What was your yearly revenue in the past 12 months?
- What was your yearly revenue before the COVID-19 pandemic?
About your digital experience
- Which of the following digital channels have your business used?
- How much visits or followers do your digital channels have?
- How often do you update or post content on your digital channels?
- Which online paid advertising are you using?
- How would you rank your knowledge and skills in digital marketing?
- What are the major obstacles for your business going online?
NOTE: When completing the questionnaire, you will need to access your current digital platforms (e.g. website, blog, Facebook, Instagram, etc.) to find out numbers of usage and engagement. Please make sure you have easy access to all your digital analytics before you start.
About the training program
- Which learning mode would you prefer?
- How often would you have time to attend the class a week?
- How long should a class last?
- What do you want to achieve after finishing the program?
Ready to join?
Please click the ‘START’ button below when you are ready. You’ll need at least one hour to complete an online questionnaire. You don’t need to complete the whole questionnaire at one time, but you must use the same computer in order to resume the survey (Your answers will be saved automatically so you can come back and complete the rest of the questions at a later time).
As you are completing the survey, we want you to know that there are no right or wrong answers. Don’t let the questions intimidate you because they are meant to give us information so that we can support you more effectively, not to exclude you from participation because your business doesn’t reach a certain threshold. We do not expect your business to generate high revenues or for you to have high-level knowledge of digital marketing. The aim of this programming is to support businesses with limited digital marketing skills.
Please note, however, that the number of people participating in the program is limited and so we may not be able to include you and your business if we have too many applicants. However, If your business is not selected, you can subscribe and receive our program’s information, tips, and how-to advice on digital marketing here.
UPDATE: May 28th 2021
The application for the Alpha Group Training Program, which will commence in September 2021, is temporarily closed for now. However, space could become available. Please check back in September for further updates.
The January 2022 Beta Group Training Program is fully open for applications. Your application will be reviewed, and you will be notified in September of your application status. Click here for more information about the program schedule.